Wednesday 4 August 2010

The Other reason for stopping at Dublin

Ok, come clean time here. The reason for bringing forward our dream trip around Britain is that I have Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and earlier this year I had a particularly bad attack, which stopped me working and restricted me greatly. So it was now or never.

Today I had an appointment for an investigation into one of the latest theories concerning MS, a poor blood flow from the brain via the venous system, called CCSVI or Chronic Cerebral Venous Insufficiency. Unfortunately, for many and various reasons, I have not been able to get the scan done in England.

The scan showed a very poor flow on the right side, despite the fact that my jugular vein is wide open, and a number of additional veins have developed to help carry the blood away. My left side is normal. When I sit up the jugular veins do not collapse as they should, so that the vertebral veins take over the flow. Perhaps a blockage further down causing a backup? Certainly worth having the next stage, a venogram, done.

3 comments:

  1. where and when do you get the venogram done? good luck.jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue,

    Wondered why you had suddenly crossed over to the Ireland area, hope you can get the venogram done soon.
    Let us know how things are going,
    Chris, Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless. Following you on AIS - intermittent - sometimes I don't see you move for days - then Bloop, your onward.
    Surrinder and Adrienne

    ReplyDelete